Our office remains open, and in response to COVID-19 we have expanded our options for remote consultations and virtual meetings. Please contact our office to discuss what meeting option best fits your situation.

Speak with one of our attorneys today.
Phone: 425-776-3191

Our Practice Areas

Who gets what if you die without a will?

You might believe that by avoiding stipulating who receives your assets when you die, you instead leave the decision to your heirs. This saves you from being blamed for favoring certain heirs over others. Unfortunately, the administration of the estates of those who die intestate (without a will) ie left to the state to manage. Thus, anyone who you might want to receive assets from your estate whose relationship to you is not addressed in the state's intestate succession laws would not be included amongst your heirs. 

Just what are the local intestate succession statutes? They can be found in Section 11.04.015 of the Revised Code of Washington. They state that the first to be entitled to your intestate estate would be your surviving spouse. On top of receiving all of your shared community property, they would receive the following percentages of your separate property: 

  • 100 percent if you have no surviving issue (direct descendants)
  • 75 percent if you have no surviving issue but are survived by parents or siblings 
  • 50 percent if you have surviving issue

In the aforementioned scenarios, your issue or other family members who would be entitled to equal portions of whatever amount of your estate would be owed to that particular group. 

If your spouse precedes you in death, then your intestate estate would pass to your descendants. Equal portions shall again be allotted to those of equal degree of kinship. If you have nor surviving spouse or issues, then the sequence of entitlement becomes your parents, siblings, your sibling's descendants, your grandparent's, and finally your grandparent's surviving descendants. Knowing the state's intestate succession guidelines might provide you with further incentive to create your own will so that your beneficiaries know it is you determining who gets what.  

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Our Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Riach Gese Jacobs, PLLC
7331 196th Street, SW
P.O. Box 1067
Lynnwood, WA 98046

Phone: 425-329-7857
Phone: 425-776-3191
Fax: 425-775-0406
Lynnwood Law Office Map