Our office remains open, and in response to COVID-19 we have expanded our options for remote consultations and virtual meetings. Please contact our office to discuss what meeting option best fits your situation.

Speak with one of our attorneys today.
Phone: 425-776-3191

Our Practice Areas

Seeking guardianship in Washington

One of the sad realities of life is that as people age, their bodies undoubtedly deteriorate. A deterioration in their mental capacity may also accompany that of their physical functions. If this is happening to one that you love, you may be concerned about their ability to take care of both themselves and their personal matters. Many with such concerns come to us here at Riach Gese Jacobs PLLC wondering if there is anything they can do to help ensure that such an aging and ailing individual is taken care of. One way to do so is to seek guardianship.

Washington state allows guardianship to be granted over adults for whom disability has led to their incapacity (in this context, “incapacity” refers to an inability to care for oneself). Disabilities recognized as contributing to incapacity include:

  • A deterioration in physical and mental capabilities
  • Mental illness
  • Developmental disabilities

When you are granted guardianship over one suffering from any of the aforementioned issues, you are given authority to make decisions related to their lives in order to protect their interests. Depending on the extent of your guardianship, this can include decisions regarding medical treatment and where they live. The court may also extend (or limit) your guardianship responsibilities to include the management of their income, property, and estate.

According to the website for the Arc of Washington State, to request guardianship you must present your petition to both the court and your proposed ward. An investigator will then look into the matter and report their findings to the court (along with a statement from a licensed physician or psychologist confirming your loved one’s incapacity). A hearing will then be held to rule on your petition.

More information on seeking guardianship can be found throughout our site.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Our Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Riach Gese Jacobs, PLLC
7331 196th Street, SW
P.O. Box 1067
Lynnwood, WA 98046

Phone: 425-329-7857
Phone: 425-776-3191
Fax: 425-775-0406
Lynnwood Law Office Map